Kerry Washington, Idris Elba pay tribute to Tyler Perry during his Hollywood Walk of Fame ceremony

Entertainment News  Kerry Washington, Idris Elba pay tribute to Tyler Perry during his Hollywood Walk of Fame ceremony https://linewsradio.com/kerry-washington-idris-elba-pay-tribute-to-tyler-perry-during-his-hollywood-walk-of-fame-ceremony/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/entertainment-news/

 

ABC/Rick Rowell(LOS ANGELES) — Kerry Washington and Idris Elba were two of the celebrities that helped pay tribute to Tyler Perry on Tuesday, when the famed writer-director-producer-actor received his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

During the ceremony, Perry reflected on his career and shared an inspirational message to those who were still trying to find their way and accomplish their dreams.

“For anyone whose dreams may be on life support, I want you to walk past this star in particular and know that I’ve been there,” said Perry.

Then, Perry’s former stars, Washington, who co-starred in the 2010 film For Colored Girls, and Elba, who starred in the 2007 movie Daddy’s Little Girls, spoke on the director’s influence.

“Your star is now alongside so many others, but you must remember it celebrates a man who has resolutely blazed your own fierce and faithful path,” said Washington.

“When we talk about stars, we talk about ones on this pavement or the ones in the sky — you’re both,” said Elba. “We are astronauts in your universe, brother.”

Perry later posted about the monumental event, sharing a candid photo of Kerry laughing in front of him as he keeled in front of his star with a sarcastic look on his face.

“So I got a star today on the Hollywood Walk of Fame,” Perry began. “@only1crystalfoxspoke [The Have and Have Nots actress Crystal FoX] and moved me. @kerrywashington spoke, and we both were in tears. Then @idriselba came up to speak, and they all were so powerful. I was so moved.”

“Thank you everyone for your support and love all these years. My Mamma would be so proud.”

Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 02 Oct 2019

Bernie Sanders had stent surgery. Here’s how the procedure works

iStock(NEW YORK) — Presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., had emergency heart surgery after experiencing chest pain on the campaign trail Tuesday, his campaign said Wednesday.

Sanders, who is 78, had two heart stents put in after doctors discovered a blockage in his artery.

“Sen. Sanders is conversing and in good spirits,” senior campaign advisor Jeff Weaver said in a statement. “He will be resting up over the next few days. We are canceling his events and appearances until further notice, and we will continue to provide appropriate updates.”

Heart stents hold the artery open and allow blood to flow through a previously blocked area. While an artery blockage might seem like code for a heart attack, that’s not necessarily the case, health experts say.

While a full blockage can sometimes lead to a heart attack, in less severe cases, a blockage can manifest as chest pain or shortness of breath. Instead, an artery blockage is generally another term for coronary heart disease, which usually develops over decades, according to the Mayo Clinic. Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States, according to the American Heart Association.

Since heart disease risk increases with age, Sanders “is in the right age bracket,” said Dr. Jennifer Haythe, a cardiologist at New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center, who is not connected to Sanders’ care.

“The prognosis with prompt re-vascularization is excellent, as long as there is no long-term damage to the heart,” Haythe explained. “We would expect him to be fine.”

“This is a commonly done procedure,” echoed Dr. Mustafa Ahmed, associate professor in cardiovascular disease at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Ahmed, who is not involved in Sanders’ care, noted that patients are typically directed to take a blood thinning medication for the rest of their lives, following a stent insertion.

Although Sanders’ age has been a talking point following his hospitalization, “generally speaking, age doesn’t really affect the recovery a lot,” said Dr. Craig A. Thompson, director of interventional cardiology and cardiac catheterization at NYU Langone Health.

“An otherwise healthy 78-year-old can recover as fast or more quickly than a man or woman in their 60s, who has other illnesses,” explained Thompson, who has performed many stent insertions and is unconnected to Sanders’ care. Most patients without major issues, such as a full-blown heart attack, go home within 24 hours, according to Thompson.

“I would expect that he’s back at it,” Thompson said of Sanders.

In 2016, Sanders’ long-time physician released a doctor’s note on his medical history, noting that the senator weighed 179 pounds at his most recent physical and was in “very good health.”

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Rome restaurant accused of overcharging multiple customers after one diner said she paid $345 for fish

WORLD NEWS Rome restaurant accused of overcharging multiple customers after one diner said she paid $345 for fish  https://linewsradio.com/rome-restaurant-accused-of-overcharging-multiple-customers-after-one-diner-said-she-paid-345-for-fish/  http://abcnewsradioonline.com/world-news/

iStock(ROME) — A restaurant in Rome is accused of ripping off its diners by not properly listing its prices and then charging diners hundreds of dollars.

The Antico Caffe di Marte has come under fire after a slew of visitors left one-star reviews and enraged comments about their dining experience on TripAdvisor.

One diner, Minh Ngoc Bui, wrote that she visited the eatery with friends on Aug. 27 and had a “horrible experience” after paying $345 for fish.

“On the menu, they write 6.5 euro/ 100 gram of mixed fish. And when we finish our meal, we had paid 476.4 euro,” Bui wrote. “When we complained about this, the boss explained [to] us that the plate of fish was 4.8 kg. We are sure it [was] around 2kg maximum.”

Bui posted her receipt, which showed the seafood dish priced at 315 euros, or $345, as well as other items, and a photo of the food to show its size. Forty euros of service fees was also added, bringing the total before tip to 433 euros or $474.

Bui could not be reached by ABC News for comment.

TripAdvisor’s verification team said the review “does appear to be a genuine experience at the restaurant,” Brian Hoyt, a company spokesman, told ABC News.

An employee with the restaurant, who declined to give his name, told ABC News, “you pay what you eat.”

“It’s really clear on the menu. It’s 6.5 euro for 100 grams,” he said.

The employee declined to say more and hung up.

The restaurant has 48 “terrible” reviews on TripAdvisor, with others alleging that the restaurant is “a scam” and a “huge rip-off.”

TripAdvisor posted a message on the restaurant’s review page that the company has “temporarily suspended publishing new reviews for this listing” because of recent media attention and an influx of submissions that do not reflect first-hand experiences.

Antico Caffe di Marte is listed as a mid-range priced restaurant on TripAdvisor.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 02 Oct 2019

The Force of Marketing: Lucasfilm reveals sweepstakes, massive tie-ins with ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’

Entertainment News  The Force of Marketing: Lucasfilm reveals sweepstakes, massive tie-ins with 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' https://linewsradio.com/the-force-of-marketing-lucasfilm-reveals-sweepstakes-massive-tie-ins-with-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/entertainment-news/

 

Lucasfilm(LOS ANGELES) — Product tie-ins for blockbuster movies are nothing new, but there’s a Death Star-sized push for the ninth and final Star Wars “saga” chapter.

The global promo push for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker will feature products and/or related content from “eight of the world’s most iconic and best-in-class brands,” including Porsche, Bose, United Airlines, General Electric, McDonald’s, Samsung Mobile, General Mills, and Dannon.  Everything will be designed to promote the December 20 release of The Rise of Skywalker.

In addition, Lucasfilm has announced a sweepstakes that will let the lucky winners be among the first to see the film at its world premiere, as well as pricey “Jedi Master ticket packages” for the already sold-out Star Wars Celebration expo in 2020. Details can be found at StarWars.com/the-rise-of-skywalker-sweepstakes-official-rules.

Lucasfilm is owned by Disney, the parent company of ABC Audio.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 02 Oct 2019

Joaquin Phoenix planted fake expletive-laced ‘Joker’ outtake on ‘Kimmel’

Entertainment News  Joaquin Phoenix planted fake expletive-laced 'Joker' outtake on 'Kimmel' https://linewsradio.com/joaquin-phoenix-planted-fake-expletive-laced-joker-outtake-on-kimmel/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/entertainment-news/

 

ABC(LOS ANGELES) — While he’s already earned praise  for his gritty take on the Batman villain Joker, Joaquin Phoenix says an outtake that showed him cursing out a colleague on set would have better left on the cutting room floor.

Instead, it ended up on Jimmy Kimmel Live!. The late-night host said that director Todd Phillips shared the clip with him, and Phoenix admits the end result was “embarrassing.”

Then again, with the actor’s history of both pranking late-night shows — and actually bolting from interviews he doesn’t like — it makes more sense that the actor’s publicist tells ABC Audio the “outtake” was fake.

The clip shows Phoenix sitting and smoking, wearing nearly all of his Joker makeup, while he berates an off-camera person named “Larry” — director of photography Lawrence Sher — for “constantly whispering” while Joaquin is performing.

Apparently, Sher commented that Phoenix’s demands for silence made him a “diva” like Cher, to which Phoenix replies, mumbling under his breath, “Cher. Really?! Singer. Actor. Dancer. Fashion Icon. You say that like it’s an insult.”

“I should probably publicly apologize to Larry,” Phoenix told Kimmel, and then apologized, saying, “I am sorry, but he did whisper constantly while we’re trying to work, and sometimes it’s really hard to find the emotion you’re after.”

He then added, “He shouldn’t have done it.”
 
Joker, which also stars Robert DeNiro and Zazie Beetz, opens nationwide Friday.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 02 Oct 2019

Report: Angelina Jolie says she’ll “never” marry again after feeling “pressured” to wed Brad Pitt

Entertainment News  Report: Angelina Jolie says she'll "never" marry again after feeling "pressured" to wed Brad Pitt https://linewsradio.com/report-angelina-jolie-says-shell-never-marry-again-after-feeling-pressured-to-wed-brad-pitt/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/entertainment-news/

 

Photo by Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images for Disney(LOS ANGELES) — Angelina Jolie reportedly says she’ll “never get married again,” following her divorce to her third husband, Brad Pitt.

A “source” tells Us Weekly that the Oscar-winning Maleficent series star, “felt that Brad pressured her” to walk down the aisle.  The former A-List couple wed in France in 2014, after spending a decade together. They split in 2016.
 
The pair reached a custody agreement in November of last year; they share custody of Maddox, 18, Pax, 15, Zahara, 14, Shiloh, 13, and twins Knox and Vivienne, 11.
 
They formerly divorced in April of 2019. 

Jolie was briefly married to Elementary actor Jonny Lee Miller in 1996; they split a year later and divorced in 1999. In 2002, she got hitched to Oscar winner Billy Bob Thornton, but they divorced in 2002.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 02 Oct 2019

North Korea fires ballistic missile from submarine, South Korea confirms

WORLD NEWS North Korea fires ballistic missile from submarine, South Korea confirms  https://linewsradio.com/north-korea-fires-ballistic-missile-from-submarine-south-korea-confirms/  http://abcnewsradioonline.com/world-news/

adam smigielski/iStock(SEOUL, South Korea) — North Korea fired a ballistic missile towards the East Sea Wednesday morning near the waters off the coastal town of Wonsan, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff confirmed to ABC News.

The missile, capable of launching from a submarine, traveled 280 miles and hit a maximum altitude of 569 miles.

This is the highest altitude in almost two years meaning it could fly as far as the U.S. mainland.

South Korea’s Joint Chief of Staff confirms to ABC News that it was fired from above waters but would not confirm whether it was launched from a submarine or a platform.

“Submarines are hard to detect and these can be used to attack the States,” Park Hwi-rak, politics professor at Kookmin University in Seoul, told ABC News.

“SLBM is actually a very dangerous weapon. It uses a submarine to covertly approach the target and launch an attack. It’s dangerous. So by firing this missile, North Korea seems to be resorting to shock tactics to convey that the regime is fully capable of deploying such destructive weapon,” Moon Sung-muk, researcher at the Korea Research Institute for National Strategy, told ABC News.

The U.S. State Department in a statement called on North Korea “to refrain from provocations, abide by their obligations under U.N. Security Council resolutions, and remain engaged in substantive and sustained negotiations to do their part to ensure peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula and achieve denuclearization.”

Analysts in Seoul say there may be multiple reasons why North Korean leader Kim Jong Un continues provocative actions while suggesting working-level talks with the United States to discuss denulearization this Saturday.

“North’s position stipulates that the negotiations with the U.S. are not “unilateral negotiations regarding denuclearization” but “negotiations on arms reduction with the U.S.” By demonstrating such a missile capability system, North Korea aims to lead the U.S.-North Korea negotiations in the direction to reduce mutual arms instead of a one-sided negotiation,” Woo Jung-yeop, head of the Center for American Studies at Seoul-based Sejong Institute, told ABC News.

This is North Korea’s 11th missile launch this year alone.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 02 Oct 2019