Patient who contracted Eastern equine encephalitis in Michigan dies, officials say

nechaev-kon/iStock(NEW YORK) — A patient in Michigan who contracted Eastern equine encephalitis, a rare mosquito-borne virus that causes brain swelling, has died, according to health officials.

Three cases of EEE have been confirmed in Michigan, the state’s Health and Community Services Department announced on Friday.

The agency reminded residents to take precautions to prevent mosquito bites.

In Massachusetts, seven people have been diagnosed with the virus, including a 5-year-old girl.

Symptoms begin with the sudden onset of headaches, high fever, chills and vomiting about four to 10 days after the bite of an infected mosquito, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The illness could then progress into disorientation, seizures and coma, according to the agency.

The virus can cause inflammation in the brain and kills about a third of the people who contract it, according to the CDC.

Many who survive end up having mild to severe brain damage.

There is no treatment or vaccination for EEE, and children and elderly people tend to have the worst prognosis, Dr. Todd Ellerin, director of Infectious Diseases and vice chair of the Department of Medicine at South Shore Health in Massachusetts, told ABC News last month.

 EEE can affect humans, horses and birds. About 90% of horses that test positive for the virus die, according to Michigan health officials.

In July, Florida health officials announced an uptick in sentinel chickens that tested positive for the virus. The chickens show the presence of the virus, but they don’t develop the symptoms associated with them, according to the American Veterinarian.

The virus cannot be transmitted from person to person or horse to person, Michigan health officials said.

Typically, about five to 10 cases of EEE in humans are reported in the U.S. annually, according to the CDC.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Self-driving boat to cross Atlantic to commemorate Mayflower’s 400th anniversary

WORLD NEWS Self-driving boat to cross Atlantic to commemorate Mayflower's 400th anniversary  https://linewsradio.com/self-driving-boat-to-cross-atlantic-to-commemorate-mayflowers-400th-anniversary/  http://abcnewsradioonline.com/world-news/

Shuttleworth Design (NEW YORK) — Next year, a self-driving ship will set off on a 2,750-mile trip across the Atlantic Ocean to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the Mayflower’s voyage to the Americas in 1620.

The Mayflower Autonomous Research Ship (MARS) will set sail from Plymouth, U.K. before docking in Plymouth, Massachusetts.

The project, conceived in 2014, began construction in Poland on September 2. A control room in Plymouth, U.K. where the first Mayflower set off, will steer the unmanned, 100-foot-long, catamaran-style boat on its 7-10 month journey. One report estimates the cost to build the autonomous ship at $1.2 million.

Funded by the marine biology non-profit ProMare and coordinated by Plymouth University, the project will arrive in the U.K. from Poland for testing in Spring, 2020 before setting sail for the U.S. in September that year.

With a maximum speed of 20 knots, the MARS will be fueled by state-of-the-art renewable energy technologies, using wind and solar to cross the ocean. The ship will also carry ground-breaking research equipment, collecting data on “meteorology, oceanography, climatology, biology, marine pollution and conservation, and autonomous navigation,” according to ProMare’s website.

MARS celebrates the voyage of the original Mayflower, which carried the first English Puritans from Southern England to Cape Cod in the early 17th century. The commemoration will be the second major 400th anniversary in two years after the United States marked the first arrival of slave ships to the Americas in August.

Another robotic ship also plans to set sail across the Atlantic. Unrelated to the Mayflower remembrances, The Daily Beast reports that Marine tech company SEA-KIT prepares to launch its own unmanned vessel, the Maxlimer, across the ocean, next year. The ship has already made several trips between the UK and other European countries, delivering oysters and beer.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 08 Sep 2019

Thousands of Dorian survivors desperate to evacuate wrecked Bahamas as death toll climbs to 44

WORLD NEWS Thousands of Dorian survivors desperate to evacuate wrecked Bahamas as death toll climbs to 44  https://linewsradio.com/thousands-of-dorian-survivors-desperate-to-evacuate-wrecked-bahamas-as-death-toll-climbs-to-44/  http://abcnewsradioonline.com/world-news/

ABC News(NASSAU, Bahamas) — As hundreds of people waited anxiously to be evacuated at the port in Marsh Harbour, a Bahamian island community wrecked by Hurricane Dorian, Senior Lt. William Sturrup of the Royal Bahamian Defense Force pleaded for patience and cooperation.

A cargo ship that just dropped off supplies became a lifeboat for many who lost everything but their lives and were desperate to board the vessel and escape the devastation.

“This boat is here to take you to Nassau,” Sturrup told the crowd of distressed evacuees on Saturday, many holding backpacks and garbage bags stuffed with the few belongings they have left.

Bahamian Health Minister Dr. Duane Sands told ABC News on Sunday that the death toll in the Bahamas is now up to 44 and that it is possible some victims were washed out to sea and may never be found while many other bodies are feared buried in the rubble.

Bahamian Prime Minister Hubert Minnis is scheduled to address his nation on Monday night.

On Sunday, Dorian was downgraded to a post-tropical cyclone, after lashing the Eastern seaboard of the United States and making landfall one last time nearly 1,600 miles north of the Bahamas in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Dorian slammed Nova Scotia on Saturday night as a Category 2 hurricane, packing torrential rain and maximum sustained winds of 100 mph that stripped roofs off homes, uprooted trees and toppled a large construction crane in Halifax.

The deadly storm struck North Carolina’s Outer Banks on Friday as a Category 1 storm with sustained winds of 90 mph, battering the barrier islands with torrential rain, ferocious winds and dangerous floodwaters.

At least one person, a 66-year-old man, died as he was preparing for the storm, North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper said Saturday at a news conference. The man, who was not named, died after falling off a ladder.

Nowhere was the devastation more evident than in the Bahamas, where evacuations and the search for survivors continued on Sunday.

An estimated 10,000 people in the Abaco Islands of the Bahamas were in desperate need of food, water and shelter. Bahamian emergency management officials said food distribution was a “challenge” and deemed drinking water in some areas of the islands unsafe for consumption and hygiene.

As the storm-ravaged masses in the Bahamas, including parents and children, scrambled to board the latest cargo ship to arrive to carry them away from the nightmarish conditions, Lt. Sturrup told ABC News, “It’s the best we can do under the circumstances.”

Rymrih Nairn said she was hoping that she and her three children could squeeze onto the ship, their lifeline out of harm’s way after their neighborhood was obliterated by Dorian.

The hurricane made landfall in the Bahamas last week as a monster Category 5 storm, tying the record for the strongest Atlantic hurricane ever to make landfall.

“I went to Sandy Point to try to get on yesterday, couldn’t get on,” Nairn told ABC News of her efforts to get her and her children evacuated. “I went to the airport. It was too chaotic. I couldn’t get on. So I said, ‘Lord, today has to be the day for me to get on.”

Sturrup later told ABC News that everyone waiting at the port in Marsh Harbour on Saturday was evacuated.

“Every person who wanted to leave did,” Sturrup said.

Marsh Harbour, a town of nearly 6,300 in the Abaco Islands, was decimated when the hurricane made landfall with 183 mph buzz saw-like winds and cut a wide swath of destruction and death.

President Donald Trump tweeted on Saturday that Prime Minister Minnis told him there could have been “many more casualties” without help from the United States. The president credited the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the U.S. Coast Guard, himself and the “brave people of the Bahamas” for pulling together in the cataclysmic aftermath of the hurricane.

The U.S. Coast Guard reported Sunday it had already rescued 290 people in the Bahamas and that six MH-60 Jayhawk helicopters were continuing to carry out search-and-rescue missions that are being supported by nine Coast Guard cutters.

About 1,500 Bahamian were evacuated to Palm Beach, Florida, on the Grand Celebration, a Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line cruise ship.

The hardest-hit area of the Bahamas appeared to be Elbow Cay, a once paradisaical barrier island a short boat ride from Marsh Harbour. In all directions, many homes, including vacation residences of the wealthy, are reduced to splinters and streets are covered in debris from major flooding.

Local resident Frank Knowles told ABC News that he and his family lost their home to Dorian. He said his wife and daughter were able to evacuate on Saturday to the United States to start their post-hurricane life.

Knowles said he is torn between staying to help rebuild or leaving to be with his family.

Elvis Key, a resident of Elbow Cay, said he and his neighbors were frustrated waiting for help from the government. He said they have already started recovery efforts on their own by clearing clogged streets of debris.

The Bahamian government announced Sunday that it is providing resources to ensure safety and security on the islands of Abaco and Grand Bahama.

As of Saturday, 274 Royal Bahamas Police Force and Royal Bahamas Defense Force officers were on Abaco, officials said. Another 666 officers were sent to Grand Bahama.

Additionally, there are large numbers of security forces from Jamaica, the United States and the United Kingdom helping in search-and-rescue efforts on the islands, officials said.

Ronaldo Newton, another resident of Elbow Cay who stayed behind and rode out the ferocious storm, told ABC News the magnitude of the disaster is just setting in.

“Believe it or not, I’m still actually telling myself, ‘You’re gonna wake up and this was all a dream,” Newton said.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 08 Sep 2019

Scoreboard roundup — 9/7/19

Sports News Scoreboard roundup -- 9/7/19 https://linewsradio.com/scoreboard-roundup-9-7-19/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/sports-news/

iStock(New York) — Here are the scores from Saturday’s sports events:

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL

   INTERLEAGUE
 Final  Kansas City   7  Miami   2

   AMERICAN LEAGUE
 Final  N-Y Yankees   5  Boston          1
 Final  Tampa Bay     5  Toronto         3
 Final  Houston       2  Seattle         1
 Final  Texas         9  Baltimore       4
 Final  Minnesota     5  Cleveland       3
 Final  L-A Angels    8  Chi White Sox   7
 Final  Oakland      10  Detroit         2

   NATIONAL LEAGUE
 Final  Arizona         2  Cincinnati    0
 Final  Philadelphia    5  N-Y Mets      0
 Final  St. Louis      10  Pittsburgh    1
 Final  Milwaukee       3  Chi Cubs      2
 Final  Atlanta         5  Washington    4
 Final  San Diego       3  Colorado      0
 Final  San Francisco   1  L-A Dodgers   0
   
TOP-25 COLLEGE FOOTBALL
  Maryland            63  (21)Syracuse    20
  (5)Ohio St.         42  Cincinnati       0
  (7)Michigan         24  Army            21
  (20)Iowa            30  Rutgers          0
  (13)Utah            35  N. Illinois     17
  (1)Clemson          24  (12)Texas A&M   10
  Colorado            34  (25)Nebraska    31
  (17)Wisconsin       61  Cent. Michigan   0
  (2)Alabama          62  New Mexico St.  10
  (3)Georgia          63  Murray St.      17
  (22)Washington St.  59  N. Colorado     17
  (18)UCF             48  FAU             14
  (4)Oklahoma         70  South Dakota    14
  (10)Auburn          24  Tulane           6
  (6)LSU              45  (9)Texas        38
  (15)Penn St.        45  Buffalo         13
  (19)Michigan St.    51  W. Michigan     17
  (16)Oregon          77  Nevada           6
  (11)Florida         45  UT Martin        0
  California          20  (14)Washington  19
  Southern Cal        45  (23)Stanford    20
   
   MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER
 Final  New York City FC   2  New England            1
 Final  Toronto FC         5  Cincinnati             1
  Final tie  Los Angeles FC     2  Orlando City           2
 Final  Colorado           2  Seattle                0
 Final  Portland           2  Sporting Kansas City   1

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 08 Sep 2019