US woman faces human trafficking charges after allegedly hiding baby in bag at Philippine airport

WORLD NEWS US woman faces human trafficking charges after allegedly hiding baby in bag at Philippine airport  https://linewsradio.com/us-woman-faces-human-trafficking-charges-after-allegedly-hiding-baby-in-bag-at-philippine-airport/  http://abcnewsradioonline.com/world-news/

iStock(NEW YORK) — A Utah woman is now facing a possible life sentence in the Philippines after she allegedly tried to sneak a baby out of the country in a closed bag at the airport in Manila, according to authorities.

Jennifer Talbot, 43, had passed through immigration on Wednesday but she was stopped at a Delta boarding gate by airline personnel who inquired about her oversize carry-on sling bag, Philippine authorities told ABC News on Thursday.

“[Talbot] passed through the immigration counter without declaring the baby so, you know, they did not see [the] baby because she was carrying the baby in a sling bag. … They did not notice or they were surprised when they learned that a baby was inside the sling bag,” said Manny Dimaano, of the Philippine National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), during a news conference on Thursday.

Dimaano said that, “based on the instructions on the bag, it should be carried in front and the head of the baby should be in an upright position so you could see the baby but then it was not carried that way so there was really an intention to conceal and to sneak out the baby, and that is why she was able to pass through the security.”

While officials had originally said she was from Ohio, public records obtained by ABC News Thursday placed her recently in Utah. Records also showed that Talbot had family in Ohio.

Talbot did not declare or present the child to the immigration inspector during departure formalities, the Philippines Bureau of Immigration told ABC News on Thursday. The immigration bureau said that while the agency is tasked with checking passengers’ travel documents, bags and luggage are not under its jurisdiction.

Talbot allegedly told authorities that she wanted to give the baby boy a name and a church blessing, authorities said.

Talbot was charged Wednesday in Pasay City court with violating the Anti-Trafficking in Person’s Act of 2003. The human-trafficking charge carries a life sentence, authorities said.

Dimaano said Talbot would remain in the Philippines while the case was under investigation.

She was also charged with violating at least two other laws on child abuse, kidnapping and illegal detention, authorities said.

The NBI said the U.S. Embassy had told authorities that Talbot was from Ohio and that she had no derogatory record. It said she’d asked for help from the U.S. Embassy and that the embassy had given her a list of law firms.

Authorities said that Talbot had allegedly told them that she met the baby’s mother via the internet. Based on documents found with Talbot during her arrest at the airport, authorities said, she came from Davao City. The baby is believed to have come from Davao.

Authorities said the baby’s parents had been charged with human trafficking but they were still at large.

The National Bureau of Investigation said it had no information on whether the baby had been sold to Talbot.

In a statement to ABC News Thursday, a spokesperson said the State Department was aware of the reports about Talbot.

“Due to privacy considerations, we have nothing further at this time. We refer you to local authorities for any further details,” the State Department said.

Delta Airlines told ABC News that it was fully cooperating with Manila authorities on their investigation.

“The safety and security of our customers and employees is and always will be Delta’s top priority,” Delta said.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 05 Sep 2019

Sterling K. Brown debuts trailer for his latest film, ‘Waves’

Entertainment News  Sterling K. Brown debuts trailer for his latest film, 'Waves' https://linewsradio.com/sterling-k-brown-debuts-trailer-for-his-latest-film-waves/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/entertainment-news/

 

Todd Williamson/NBC(LOS ANGELES) — Sterling K. Brown portrays a domineering father watching over his teenage daughter in the trailer for his new film Waves, which he debuted Thursday on Instagram.

The This Is Us Emmy winner commented, “Your first glimpse at #Waves, brought to you by @A24  This one is pretty special. As proud as I’ve ever been of anything in my career. Please come check it out.”

Waves is set in South Florida and tells the story of two couples coping with the joy and pain of young love. According to Deadline, last week at the Venice Film Festival, the film “drew raves for its cast, particularly Brown as the father.”

Waves opens in theaters November 1.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 05 Sep 2019

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson says he’d ‘rather be dead in a ditch’ than delay Brexit

WORLD NEWS UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson says he'd 'rather be dead in a ditch' than delay Brexit  https://linewsradio.com/uk-prime-minister-boris-johnson-says-hed-rather-be-dead-in-a-ditch-than-delay-brexit/  http://abcnewsradioonline.com/world-news/

iStock(LONDON) — U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson, whose younger brother resigned from Parliament on Wednesday over the issue of leaving the EU, said he’d “rather be dead in a ditch” than go to ask Brussels for a delay to Brexit.

Johnson was asked by a reporter if he could promise not to delay Brexit after making a speech in front of police recruits in West Yorkshire.

“Yes, I can. I’d rather be dead in a ditch,” Johnson said.

When asked if he would resign rather than delay, he declined to answer, but said a delay would be “totally pointless.”

Pressure continues to build on Johnson after his younger brother, Jo Johnson, spectacularly resigned from Parliament.

Jo Johnson, 47, was appointed to the prime minister’s cabinet as Minister of State for Universities when he assumed office in July. He has now become the latest high-profile lawmaker to abandon his brother’s administration over his handling of Brexit.

Jo Johnson said he was forced to choose between family and national loyalties, but ultimately the national interest won out.

“It’s been an honour to represent Orpington for 9 years & to serve as a minister under three PMs,” Jo Johnson said in a tweet. “In recent weeks I’ve been torn between family loyalty and the national interest – it’s an unresolvable tension & time for others to take on my roles as MP & Minister. #overandout.”

The decision to leave the government has plunged Boris Johnson’s administration into further uncertainty after a series of stinging defeats in Parliament. Opponents of Boris Johnson have united in recent days, claiming that his plans for a no-deal Brexit would crash the U.K. economy.

The prime minister had promised to leave the EU with or without a deal by Oct. 31, but British lawmakers voted to rule out a no-deal Brexit, which could force Johnson to go back to EU leaders and ask for a humiliating extension.

In response, Boris Johnson, 55, called for a general election, which was rejected Wednesday evening by lawmakers. That decision leaves the current administration in a position of political paralysis.

That was the third defeat for Johnson’s embattled government in as many days. Boris Johnson also expelled several members of his own Conservative Party who voted against him on Wednesday. The political turmoil saw 21 Conservative members of Parliament expelled from the party, including Sir Nicholas Soames, the grandson of Britain’s World War II leader Winston Churchill. The turmoil has left the government without a majority to effectively govern.

The family fallout is reminiscent of a previous brotherly dispute in U.K. politics, when lawmaker Ed Miliband was accused of stabbing his brother David in the back to become Labour Party leader in 2010.

Brexit had been the former Prime Minister Theresa May’s undoing, as she resigned after being compelled by lawmakers to extend the previous deadline of March 31.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 05 Sep 2019

‘Mad About You’ reboot coming back November 20

Entertainment News  'Mad About You' reboot coming back November 20 https://linewsradio.com/mad-about-you-reboot-coming-back-november-20/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/entertainment-news/

 

Spectrum/Sony Pictures TV(LOS ANGELES) — Paul Reiser and Oscar winner Helen Hunt will be back as Paul and Jamie Buchman, respectively, in the reboot of Mad About You, starting on Wednesday, November 20 on Spectrum’s On Demand platform.

The first six episodes of the limited Sony Pictures Television series will drop ad-free on that date; the final six episodes will be released on Wednesday, December 18. 

According to a press release, the show will revisit the Buchmans as empty-nesters, as they’ve just seen their “unpredictable, hard-to-control daughter Mabel” off to college.

The series will also see original cast members John Pankow and Richard Kind return, as, respectively, Ira Buchman and Dr. Mark Devanow.

Abby Quinn will play Paul and Jamie’s daughter Mabel, who was a baby when the show ended its five-season run in 1999. The series finale did have an adult Mabel filling in viewers that after some rough times, everyone “lived happily ever after.”

This past spring, Kind stopped by ABC Radio, and was enthused at the idea of rebooting the show — as opposed to Spin City, in which he also starred.

“It would be great,” Kind said. “That would be an interesting thing. I don’t know how interesting Spin City would be [to reboot]. Ah, you know, in a situation like that, everybody has moved on. But Mad About You, it would be interesting to see how that marriage has evolved.

“They did have a child. Which to me is, you know, ‘jumping the shark’ — but nevertheless, they had a child,” Kind added. “What are you gonna do? Yeah, go visit them again.”

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 05 Sep 2019

Meghan Markle to return to royal duties from maternity leave with launch of fashion collection

WORLD NEWS Meghan Markle to return to royal duties from maternity leave with launch of fashion collection  https://linewsradio.com/meghan-markle-to-return-to-royal-duties-from-maternity-leave-with-launch-of-fashion-collection/  http://abcnewsradioonline.com/world-news/

NataliaCatalina/iStock(LONDON) — Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, is returning from maternity leave to launch a fashion collection, one of her most high-profile projects to date.

The duchess, 38, will launch the Smart Works capsule collection in London next Thursday, Sept. 12, according to Buckingham Palace.

The capsule collection of “workwear essentials” will benefit Smart Works, a U.K. charity for women of which Meghan is patron. The collection was first announced at the end of July in a piece Meghan wrote for the September issue of, which she guest edited.

Meghan surprised a group of women last month at a photo shoot for the capsule collection. The surprise, which also offered a sneak peek of the collection, was shared as an Instagram story on @SussexRoyal, the official account she shares with her husband, Prince Harry.

Meghan partnered on the collection with her friend and designer Misha Nonoo, as well as Jigsaw, a British fashion line, and U.K.-based retailers John Lewis & Partners and Marks & Spencer.

The line includes “work wear essentials to help equip Smart Works’ clients with the key essentials they need as they attend interviews and enter into the workplace – including a shirt, trousers, blazer, dress and bag,” Buckingham Palace announced in a statement Wednesday.

For each item purchased from the collection, one item will be shared with a woman at Smart Works.

“Not only does this allow us to be part of each other’s story; it reminds us we are in it together,” Meghan wrote in her British Vogue essay announcing the collection.

Meghan has technically been on maternity leave since her son’s Archie’s birth in May but has continued to work behind the scenes on initiatives, including the British Vogue issue and the capsule collection.

She and Harry and Archie will travel to South Africa later this month for their first official overseas tour as a family of three.

The family will visit South Africa on behalf of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, according to Buckingham Palace, which announced the family’s trip in June.

Harry will also visit Malawi and Angola at the request of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office during the family’s trip, and will also undertake a “working visit” to Botswana.

“On a personal note, I can’t wait to introduce my wife and son to South Africa! We’ll see all of you very soon,” Harry wrote in a message shared on Instagram Sunday.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 05 Sep 2019

Lori Loughlin’s marriage on the rocks?

Entertainment News  Lori Loughlin's marriage on the rocks? https://linewsradio.com/lori-loughlins-marriage-on-the-rocks/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/entertainment-news/

 

iStock/cokada(LOS ANGELES) — Lori Loughlin is grappling not only with the Varsity Blues, but apparently the wedding bell blues, too.

Us Weekly reports that Loughlin’s marriage to Mossimo Giannulli is on life support.  Things between them supposedly got ugly last week when the two couldn’t decide whether or not to take a private jet to their court appearance in Boston.

Their lawyer apparently nixed the idea, but Giannulli complained that flying commercial would create a circus.

The relationship reportedly started to sour in April when prosecutors offered them a plea deal.  An insider dished to Us, “Lori was inclined to take the deal, but Mossimo said it would ruin both of their careers.”

The insider says, “Their daughter Bella is extremely concerned they’re going to get divorced.”

Due to all the bad blood, friends of the Fuller House star are apparently rooting for a divorce.  However, the insider says that won’t happen because Loughlin “says the ordeal has made them stronger.”

Loughlin and Giannulli are in the middle of what is probably their worst PR nightmare.  The couple is accused of dropping $500,000 in bribes to get their daughters into the University of Southern California.  Both have pleaded not guilty.

If convicted, they face up to 40 years in prison.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 05 Sep 2019

Scientists say the Loch Ness monster might just be a huge eel

WORLD NEWS Scientists say the Loch Ness monster might just be a huge eel  https://linewsradio.com/scientists-say-the-loch-ness-monster-might-just-be-a-huge-eel/  http://abcnewsradioonline.com/world-news/

Ariana Walls/iStock(LONDON) — For years, the mystery of the Loch Ness monster has stumped scientists and brought waves of monster sleuths to northern Scotland.

But is the supposedly shy creature with a snake-like head and a long, green body just, in the end, an eel?

Scientists in Scotland using a new water sampling technique to study biodiversity in the Loch Ness, a massive 22-mile lake with 7 million cubic meters of water, have been hoping they might also find evidence of the elusive creature.

But after a year of study, the team said they have found over 3000 species in the lake – most so small you wouldn’t know they were there — but no trace of a monster.

“It’s deep dark and mysterious and it’s possibly the best setting in the world for a monster mystery,” said Professor Neil Gemmell of the University Otago in New Zealand, as he began the press conference today in Loch Ness Centre & Exhibition to announce the results.

The supposedly shy creature with a snake-like head and a long, thin body that’s green with black humps, has long been a huge tourist draw to Scotland.

Gemmell said his team had analyzed the water samples for environmental DNA that creatures shed as they move through an environment.

“We can collect that DNA and obtain a very accurate indication of what the species was that shed that material, and over time you can collect quite a large body of information from literally a liter of water,” he said.

But they found no evidence of a plesiosaur — a prehistoric marine reptile that some had theorized might be the monster.

“There is probably not a giant scaly reptile swimming around Loch Ness,” said Gemmell.

So what might the monster be?

One “plausible” idea based on anecdotal evidence, according to Gemmell, is that the monster could be a large eel.

But that theory, too, raises questions. Eels usually only grow to four to six feet, and they migrate to reproduce.

“Plenty of uncertainty remains,” said Gemmell.

And though the survey was comprehensive Gemmell made the point that a lack of evidence does not mean the mystery has been solved.

Scotland reacted to the report with some humor about the mysterious creature known locally as “Nessie.”

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 05 Sep 2019

Boris Johnson’s brother resigns from Parliament as Brexit crisis deepens

WORLD NEWS Boris Johnson's brother resigns from Parliament as Brexit crisis deepens  https://linewsradio.com/boris-johnsons-brother-resigns-from-parliament-as-brexit-crisis-deepens/  http://abcnewsradioonline.com/world-news/

RistoArnaudov/iStock(LONDON) — Pressure continues to build on U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson after his younger brother, Jo Johnson, spectacularly resigned from Parliament.

Jo Johnson, 47, was appointed to the prime minister’s cabinet as Minister of State for Universities when he assumed office in July. He has now become the latest high-profile lawmaker to abandon his brother’s administration over his handling of Brexit.

Jo Johnson said he was forced to choose between family and national loyalties, but ultimately the national interest won out.

“It’s been an honour to represent Orpington for 9 years & to serve as a minister under three PMs,” Jo Johnson said in a tweet. “In recent weeks I’ve been torn between family loyalty and the national interest – it’s an unresolvable tension & time for others to take on my roles as MP & Minister. #overandout.”

The decision to leave the government has plunged Boris Johnson’s administration into further uncertainty after a series of stinging defeats in Parliament. Opponents of Boris Johnson have united in recent days, claiming that his plans for a no-deal Brexit would crash the U.K. economy.

The prime minister had promised to leave the EU with or without a deal by Oct. 31, but British lawmakers voted to rule out a no-deal Brexit, which could force Johnson to go back to EU leaders and ask for a humiliating extension.

In response, Boris Johnson, 55, called for a general election, which was rejected Wednesday evening by lawmakers. That decision leaves the current administration in a position of political paralysis.

That was the third defeat for Johnson’s embattled government in as many days. Boris Johnson also expelled several members of his own Conservative Party who voted against him on Wednesday. The political turmoil saw 21 Conservative members of Parliament expelled from the party, including Sir Nicholas Soames, the grandson of Britain’s World War II leader Winston Churchill. The turmoil has left the government without a majority to effectively govern.

The family fallout is reminiscent of a previous brotherly dispute in U.K. politics, when lawmaker Ed Miliband was accused of stabbing his brother David in the back to become Labour Party leader in 2010.

Brexit had been the former Prime Minister Theresa May’s undoing, as she resigned after being compelled by lawmakers to extend the previous deadline of March 31.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 05 Sep 2019
12