American scientist vanishes on Greek island of Crete

WORLD NEWS American scientist vanishes on Greek island of Crete  https://linewsradio.com/american-scientist-vanishes-on-greek-island-of-crete/  http://abcnewsradioonline.com/world-news/

arkanto/iStock(LONDON) — An American scientist has disappeared on the Greek island of Crete.

U.S. citizen Suzanne Eaton, a 59-year-old research group leader at the Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics in Dresden, Germany, was last seen on the afternoon of July 2 near the port city of Chania, where she was attending a conference. Greek authorities have launched a search for Eaton, according to the research institute.

“Our thoughts and wishes goes to the family and friends whose commitment, dedication and bravery underscore the extraordinary love and affection all of us feel towards Suzanne,” the Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics said in a statement Monday.

The Hellenic Police, the national police service of Greece, did not respond to ABC News’ request for comment.

Eaton’s running shoes are also missing, leading colleagues to suspect she may have gone for a run in the area.

“Understanding this is speculative, since Suzanne is a keen runner and her running shoes have not been found, a ‘more likely’ scenario is that she may have gone for a run,” the institute said Friday in an earlier statement. “There are many observations that challenge such a theory including the heat of the day suggesting that a swim would have been more attractive. As well as being a leading scientist in her field, Suzanne is a strong athlete, runner and senior black belt in Tae Kwon Do. If anyone can find her way out of a difficult situation it is Suzanne.”

Eaton, who is also a professor at Biotechnology Center of TU Dresden, is from Oakland, Calif. She is married with two children, according to her biography on the institute’s website.

The Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics released a statement on Monday from members of Eaton’s family, who are appealing for the public’s help in finding her.

“We are enormously grateful to the Greek police, fire service, coastguard and volunteers for the dedication they have brought to the search for Suzanne. We are determined to keep searching until we find her,” Eaton’s family said in the statement. “As in all cases when someone goes missing, the most important information can come from local residents and other holidaymakers or conference attendees who may have observed something on Tuesday afternoon that could assist the search. We are interested in anyone who has seen running shoes on or by the local beaches or road, and anyone who was at the beach outside the Orthodox Academy of Crete (OAC) on Tuesday afternoon.”

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 08 Jul 2019

Pelosi invites US women’s soccer team to Capitol Hill amid uncertainty over Trump invitation

Sports News Pelosi invites US women's soccer team to Capitol Hill amid uncertainty over Trump invitation https://linewsradio.com/pelosi-invites-us-womens-soccer-team-to-capitol-hill-amid-uncertainty-over-trump-invitation/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/sports-news/

Maja Hitij/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — President Donald Trump congratulated the U.S. women’s soccer team for their historic World Cup win against the Netherlands on Sunday and tweeted last month that he is planning on inviting the team to the White House, “win or lose.”

But amid a public feud with the team’s co-captain and top scorer, Megan Rapinoe, Trump appeared less certain about the invitation when talking to reporters on Sunday.

“We haven’t really thought about it,” he said. “We’ll look at that.”

The Trump administration has so far hosted only one women’s sports team at the White House — the Baylor University Lady Bears — and has not invited any of the WNBA champions since Trump took office. ABC News has reached out to the White House, but a request for comment was not returned.

But House Speaker Nancy Pelosi did not hesitate and tweeted an invitation to the players to visit the U.S. Capitol, tweeting, “I’m pleased to invite the players to the US Capitol as a team or individually to celebrate your inspiring victory.”

Pelosi’s invitation comes after Rapinoe, who drew Trump’s ire when she declared last month that she’s “not going to the f—— White House” if her team wins, accepted Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s offer to visit the Capitol instead.

This is not the first time that Pelosi and Democrats have gotten in the middle of one of Trump’s feuds with sports teams and athletes.

Last year, Pelosi and Democratic Rep. Barbara Lee — who both represent California — invited the Golden State Warriors and their families to the Capitol amid news that Trump, who withdrew his invitation to the NBA champs in 2017, had decided not to invite them at all after their 2018 win.

“I stand by the comments that I made about not wanting to go to the White House, with the exception of the expletive,” Rapinoe said amid some backlash following her initial comments and criticism from Trump. “My mom would be very upset about that.”

Rapinoe, who has been an outspoken critic of the Trump administration, was one of the first athletes to follow then-NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s lead in September 2016 by taking a knee during the playing of the national anthem to protest racial oppression and police brutality against black people.

Trump slammed Rapinoe on Twitter and claimed that “leagues and teams love coming to the White House,” but since Trump took office, the president has feuded with a wide variety of sports champs — from football to basketball and baseball — and many players refused invitations to the White House, citing their opposition to Trump.

“I am a big fan of the American Team, and Women’s Soccer, but Megan should WIN first before she TALKS! Finish the job! We haven’t yet … invited Megan or the team, but I am now inviting the TEAM, win or lose. Megan should never disrespect our Country, the White House, or our Flag, especially since so much has been done for her & the team. Be proud of the Flag that you wear. The USA is doing GREAT!” Trump wrote in a series of tweets.

Teammate Ali Krieger, who defended Rapinoe following Trump’s criticism, tweeted that she “will sit this one out as well,” and cited her opposition to the Trump administration’s actions regarding “LGBTQ+ citizens, immigrants & our most vulnerable.”

Team forward Alex Morgan said on Friday that the women will decide as a team whether to accept a potential White House invitation.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 08 Jul 2019

Coco Gauff, 15-year-old tennis phenom who beat Venus Williams, is out at Wimbledon

Sports News Coco Gauff, 15-year-old tennis phenom who beat Venus Williams, is out at Wimbledon https://linewsradio.com/coco-gauff-15-year-old-tennis-phenom-who-beat-venus-williams-is-out-at-wimbledon/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/sports-news/

Shi Tang/Getty Images(LONDON) — Coco Gauff, the 15-year-old tennis player who burst onto the professional scene with a stunning victory over Venus Williams last week, is leaving Wimbledon with a loss in straight sets — and a host of new fans ready to motivate her for the next tournament.

“Your journey is far from over, @CocoGauff,” tennis legend Billie Jean King tweeted. “Looking forward to watching your future successes on the court and off. #BigFan”

Gauff’s eye-catching debut at Wimbledon came to an end Monday in the fourth round with a loss to Romanian star Simona Halep, 27, who was seeded No. 7, 6-3, 6-3.

“I hope they learned about me that I’m a fighter,” Gauff said in a post-match press conference after her loss about her new fans. “I’ll never give up. I hope they learned from me that, I mean, anything is possible if you work hard, just continue to dream big.”

It’s likely Gauff’s Wimbledon success, which made her an overnight sensation, will outlive her loss. In the first round of ladies’ singles, Gauff beat her icon, Williams, 39, 6-4, 6-4. To get there in the first place, Gauff became the youngest player to ever qualify for Wimbledon.

She and her parents became visibly emotional after that match, and they quickly won over tennis fans everywhere. In an interview with GMA, Gauff’s parents credited Venus and her sister Serena Williams for paving the way.

“We hadn’t seen many African-American women in the sport, so when they started winning and having success and trailblazing, some of the challenges that they went through made it a lot easier to get into the sport and it allowed us to be a lot more confident about choosing [tennis],” Gauff’s father, Corey, said.

Gauff, who has been competing while taking school tests, has been humbled and excited by the attention she’s getting — including from Beyoncé’s mom, Tina Knowles, Jaden Smith and Michelle Obama.

“She’s one of my role models,” Gauff said of Obama’s tweet about her, according to People. “So it was just cool to see that she knows I exist.”

But above all, it’s Gauff’s athletic performance on those famed grass courts that has garnered attention for the young phenom.

After beating Williams, she beat Magdaléna Rybáriková to reach the third round, where she faced Polona Hercog of Slovenia.

That match on Friday cemented her place in history, as she fought back from two match points, including a second set tiebreak, to come out on top. In doing so, Gauff became the youngest player to make it to the second week of Wimbledon since 1991.

Gauff also caused some conversation with her entrance in the mixed doubles Wimbledon tournament, when Brit Jay Clarke left original partner Harriet Dart to instead play with Gauff at the last minute. They did, however, lose in the opening round.

“If somebody told me this maybe three weeks ago, I probably wouldn’t believe it,” Gauff said after her loss on Monday. “But I think just putting in the work definitely raised my confidence because I knew how hard I worked and I knew what shots I could make and what was possible.”

“I’m only 15,” she continued. “Like, I’ve not nearly gotten or developed my game. I started tennis at six. I’m so excited to see, if I continue to work hard, what other success I can do in the future.”

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 08 Jul 2019

Vin Diesel reveals Charlize Theron and Helen Mirren are back for ‘Fast & Furious 9’

Entertainment News  Vin Diesel reveals Charlize Theron and Helen Mirren are back for 'Fast & Furious 9' https://linewsradio.com/vin-diesel-reveals-charlize-theron-and-helen-mirren-are-back-for-fast-furious-9/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/entertainment-news/

 

Franziska Krug/Getty Images(LONDON) — Vin Diesel gave an update from the London set of Fast & Furious 9, revealing that Charlize Theron and Helen Mirren will both be back for the next installment in the franchise.

In an Instagram video posted Monday, Diesel said, “Week 3, Fast 9, here on set. We’ve got a lot of the original cast here including Oscar-winners like Charlize Theron and Helen Mirren. A few new surprises, including John Cena, who I believe is going to completely shine in this movie.”

Theron and Mirren both made their Fast debut in 2017’s Fate of the Furious. Theron starred as the cyberterrorist Cipher, while Mirren made a cameo as Magdalene Shaw, the mother of Jason Statham’s Deckard and Luke Evans’ Owen.

Before Fast 9 comes out, Mirren is set to reprise her role in the spin-off Hobbs & Shaw, out August 2.

Fast 9 is set to open May 22, 2020.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 08 Jul 2019

Thai police charge South Korean actress with catching endangered species

WORLD NEWS Thai police charge South Korean actress with catching endangered species  https://linewsradio.com/thai-police-charge-south-korean-actress-with-catching-endangered-species/  http://abcnewsradioonline.com/world-news/

The Chosunilbo JNS/Multi-Bits via Getty Images(BANGKOK) — South Korean actress Lee Yeol-eum has been charged by police in Thailand for catching and killing an endangered marine species while starring in a reality television show.

Lee, 23, was filmed catching three giant clams from a Thai marine reserve in the southern province of Trang as part of a June 30 episode of a popular South Korean television show Law of the Jungle, which assigns celebrities different missions to survive in the wilderness.

The company that produces the reality show, Seoul Broadcasting System, said in an statement last week that it “deeply apologizes for filming the episode without fully understanding the local wildlife regulations regarding the hunting of Thai giant clams,” and that it will pay particular attention to those regulations during future productions.

Representatives for Lee were not immediately available for comment.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 08 Jul 2019

South African headed for space dies in motorcycle accident

WORLD NEWS South African headed for space dies in motorcycle accident  https://linewsradio.com/south-african-headed-for-space-dies-in-motorcycle-accident/  http://abcnewsradioonline.com/world-news/

iStock(NEW YORK) — A South African man who was expected to become the first black African in space was killed when his motorcycle was struck by a car on Saturday.

Mandla Maseko beat out a million people in 2013 to win a sub-orbital trip sponsored by the Axe Apollo Space Academy.

The 30-year-old Maseko, popularly known as “Spaceboy” and “Afronaut,” was one of 23 people who won a seat on the trip to space.

“It is with deep sadness that the Maseko family confirms that Mandla Maseko tragically passed away in a bike accident last night, July 6 2019,” his business manager and close friend Sthembile Shabangu said in a media release.

“Maseko will be sorely missed.” Shabangu said. “May Mandla Maseko’s kind and beautiful soul rest in eternal peace.”

The space flight was scheduled to be an hour-long sub-orbital trip on the Lynx Mark II spaceship. However it had not yet happened at the time of Maseko’s passing.

Maseko’s death was met with an outpouring of grief on social media.

Shabangu said that even though Maseko did not end up going into space, he would have wanted his hope to spread.

“There were still rocket tests happening before they could go up,” Shabangu said. “He really thought that if he went up to space he could inspire young African children that they could do anything. He used to always say that the sky was no longer the limit.”

Details for Maseko’s memorial service are expected to be announced later this week.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 08 Jul 2019

Watch full-length trailer for ‘Maleficent: Mistress of Evil,’ starring Angelina Jolie

Entertainment News  Watch full-length trailer for 'Maleficent: Mistress of Evil,' starring Angelina Jolie https://linewsradio.com/watch-full-length-trailer-for-maleficent-mistress-of-evil-starring-angelina-jolie/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/entertainment-news/

 

Walt Disney Studios (LOS ANGELES) — The official full-length trailer for Maleficent: Mistress of Evil has been released, with Angelina Jolie reprising her role as the evil fairy.

The clip, which debuted Monday on ABC’s Good Morning America, shows chilling moments with Maleficent, her goddaughter Princess Aurora — played by Elle Fanning — and Queen Ingrith, played by Michelle Pfeiffer.

The sequel to the 2014 film is set five years in the future, as Aurora gets engaged to Prince Phillip. Maleficent refuses to give her the marriage blessing, causing a rift between the two.

“Love doesn’t always end well,” Maleficent tells the princess in the trailer.

In one scene, Prince Phillip’s mother Queen Ingrith thanks Maleficent for helping to raise Aurora, but says now, she considers Aurora “her own.”

Maleficent then grows angry and lashes out against Aurora’s future in-laws with her magic. It seems as though the antagonist’s heart is hardened again, as she proclaims that Aurora will not marry.

Later, Ingrith tells Aurora that Maleficent is “a threat to everyone,” leading fans to believe the queen and Maleficent may go head-to-head.

Actor Chiwetel Ejiofor also joins the cast as a fairy similar to Maleficent.

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil hits theaters Oct. 18.

The Walt Disney Company is the parent company of ABC News.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 08 Jul 2019