Florida officials accused by defense attorneys of peddling alleged Kraft sex tape to the media

Sports News Florida officials accused by defense attorneys of peddling alleged Kraft sex tape to the media https://linewsradio.com/florida-officials-accused-by-defense-attorneys-of-peddling-alleged-kraft-sex-tape-to-the-media/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/sports-news/

Adam Glanzman/Getty Images(JUPITER, Fla) — Attorneys for the owner and manager of a Florida day spa, where New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft and other men were allegedly caught on camera receiving sexual favors are claiming either prosecutors or police are trying to profit from the unauthorized sale of the footage “to the highest bidder,” according to newly filed court documents.

“I am deeply disturbed that someone in the Palm Beach County attorney’s office or Jupiter Police Department — who are the only ones with access to these video — would attempt to sell and profit from these videos and be in contempt of the courts orders,” attorney Tama Beth Kudman told ABC News on Friday. “It’s disgraceful.”

Kudman, who represents Hua Zhang, the owner of Orchids of Asia Day Spa in Jupiter, Florida — charged with multiple counts of running a brothel — in an emergency motion for an order to show cause filed on Thursday evening. The motion seeks to hold officials in criminal contempt and “for violation of this Court’s order prohibiting the release of the video surveillance in this case,” according to filing.

“The motion is asking the court to get to the bottom of whoever attempted to sell these videos and hold whoever it is in contempt because they are violating the judge’s order. It’s disgraceful,” Kudman told ABC News.

Emails and phone calls from ABC News to the Jupiter Police Department and Palm Beach County State Attorney’s Office requesting comment about the allegations were not immediately returned.

Zhang’s business was one of numerous Florida spas targeted as part of a larger human trafficking investigation which installed hidden surveillance cameras in spa massage rooms and allegedly captured Kraft seeking and receiving sexual favors from spa staffers on Jan. 19 and 20. Kraft has denied the charges.

The secretly-installed cameras were set up by the Jupiter Police Department during a human trafficking investigation of the spa. While prosecutors with the Palm Beach County State Attorney’s Office have not filed any human trafficking charges related to the Orchids of Asia Day Spa, Kraft and two-dozen other men who had visited the facility were arrested and charged with soliciting prostitution.

The latest drama began earlier Wednesday, when Palm Beach County prosecutors indicated that they were preparing to release the potentially embarrassing surveillance video from inside the spa.

County officials said that the video would be released in response to public records requests in the cases of Zhang and another women accused of facilitating the alleged prostitution at the Orchids of Asia Day Spa. Officials said they would “pixelate or blur depictions of obscene or pornographic images before releasing such records to the public, absent a court order.”

Kraft’s attorneys responded swiftly, filing a letter to the judge to apprise him of what they described as “an extraordinary and alarming development involving what appears to be gross prosecutorial misconduct” and accused law enforcement officials of trying to circumvent the judgment of the court. Kraft’s attorneys had previously filed a motion with the court to suppress the video evidence, and a hearing had been scheduled.

“I don’t want this released until I’ve ruled,” Florida Circuit Court Judge Joseph Marx said in an emergency hearing on a conference call with the two parties and the media late Wednesday afternoon.

That hearing is now scheduled for April 29 at 1:30 p.m. local time.

Defense attorneys for the National Football League (NFL) team owner have said that they intend to argue at that hearing that a search warrant that allowed investigators to install hidden cameras inside the spa’s massage rooms was improperly obtained.

Defense attorneys also filed motions on Wednesday requesting to seal the videos not only to “protect Mr. Kraft’s right to a fair trial” but to prevent it’s released to “millions of people around the world to see.”

“If that were to happen, it would immediately and irretrievably taint the jury pool not just in Palm Beach County, but in neighboring counties (and states) as well. Sealing is the most sensible option,” according to court documents.

Under Florida’s Sunshine Law — enacted in 1995 — any records made or received by any public agency in the course of its official business are available for inspection, unless specifically exempted by the Florida Legislature.

Yet on Thursday, the New York Daily News first reported that TheBlast.com published an article saying that the newspaper’s reporters, along with “multiple media outlets” were contacted by an unidentified party trying to sell the footage of 77-year-old Kraft with a masseuse.

“In a blatant derogation of this Court’s Order, a (presently) unknown individual, or perhaps even a group of individuals, is now attempting to sell, to the highest bidder, the materials subject to this Court’s order,” wrote Kudman in the motion along with Kathleen S. Phang, who represents the spa’s manager, Lei Wang. “Obviously, this information creates yet another emergency necessitating immediate judicial intervention.”

Kudman and Phang are further requesting the judge to have the police and prosecutors pay for their fees and costs for prosecuting their motion.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 19 Apr 2019

Conor McGregor seen in new bodycam footage getting arrested after phone altercation

Sports News Conor McGregor seen in new bodycam footage getting arrested after phone altercation https://linewsradio.com/conor-mcgregor-seen-in-new-bodycam-footage-getting-arrested-after-phone-altercation/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/sports-news/

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images(MIAMI) — Prosecutors have released new footage of UFC star Conor McGregor getting arrested at a Miami Beach home after allegedly smashing and stealing a fan’s phone outside the Fountainebleau hotel.

The police bodycam footage shows McGregor calmly being led from a private home to a police vehicle, where he is handcuffed before getting inside.

McGregor is facing one felony charge of strong-armed robbery and one charge of misdemeanor criminal mischief after allegedly getting into an altercation with Ahmed Abdirzak, who was attempting to take a photo with McGregor on March 11, prosecutors say. He has pleaded not guilty to both charges.

McGregor was exiting a Miami nightclub at 5:20 a.m. when he encountered Abdirzak, police stated.

McGregor “slapped the victim’s phone out of his hand, causing it to fall to the floor,” the arrest affidavit states. “The defendant then stomped on the victim’s phone several times, damaging it.”

McGregor then picked up for the phone and left with it, according to police.

Federal prosecutors released surveillance footage from the incident, which they say captured the altercation.

In a statement to ABC News, McGregor’s team acknowledged the incident, saying McGregor “was involved in a minor altercation involving a cell phone that resulted in a call to law enforcement. Mr. McGregor appreciates the response of law enforcement and pledges his full cooperation.”

Abdirzak filed a civil suit against McGregor that has since been dropped after reaching an out-of-court settlement, The Miami Herald reported.

McGregor seemed to acknowledge the incident on Instagram the day after it occurred.

“Patience in this world is a virtue I continue to work on,” McGregor wrote. “I love my fans dearly. Thank you all.”

Two weeks later, McGregor abruptly announced his retirement on Twitter. “Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as ‘Mixed Martial Art’ today,” McGregor wrote. “I wish my old colleagues well going forward in competition. I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement”

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 19 Apr 2019

St. John’s hires former Arkansas coach Mike Anderson

Sports News St. John's hires former Arkansas coach Mike Anderson https://linewsradio.com/st-johns-hires-former-arkansas-coach-mike-anderson/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/sports-news/

Wesley Hitt/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Former Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson has been named the next coach at St. John’s University, the school announced Friday.

Anderson was fired last month after taking his team to the second round of the NIT.

During his eight season with Arkansas, Anderson led the team to five postseason appearances and won 169 games. His best season was in 2014-15 when he won a 27 games and finished second in the SEC regular season.

“My family and I are extremely excited to join the St. John’s University community,” said Anderson. “This basketball program is rooted with such great tradition and it has a history built by legendary coaches, so this is a humbling experience. I look forward to mentoring the young men who will represent St. John’s proudly on the court, in the classroom and in our community.

Anderson has a career record of 369-200 with Arkansas, Missouri and UAB. He has led teams to 12 postseason appearances in his 17 years of coaching, including 9 trips to the NCAA tournament.

Anderson is one of only four current Division 1 coaches with at least 15 years of experience who have never had a losing record. The other three are North Carolina’s Roy Williams, Michigan State’s Tom Izzo and Gonzaga’s Mark Few.

St. John’s head coach Chris Mullin resigned last month following a 21-13 record and a berth in the NCAA first four against Arizona State.

The former St. John’s great leave’s the school with a 59-73 record after four seasons in charge.

As a player, he led the team to the 1985 Final Four and finished as the school’s all-time leading scorer. Mullin

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 19 Apr 2019

Report: Red Wings to name Steve Yzerman as new general manager

Sports News Report: Red Wings to name Steve Yzerman as new general manager https://linewsradio.com/report-red-wings-to-name-steve-yzerman-as-new-general-manager/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/sports-news/

francisblack/iStock(NEW YORK) — Former Detroit Red Wings player Steve Yzerman is reportedly heading back to the Motor City.

A source tells ESPN the Red Wings will be naming Yzerman its new general manager. A news conference has been scheduled for 3 p.m. ET Friday.

Ken Holland, the team’s current general manager, will stay in Detroit but in a different capacity — he’s expected to be named the Red Wings’ senior vice president, according to multiple reports.

Yzerman, 53, was drafted by the Red Wings in 1983 and spent his entire NHL career with the team until he retired in 2006. He was named Detroit’s captain in 1986 and led the team to three Stanley Cup championships.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 19 Apr 2019

Yankees replace version of ‘God Bless America’ played during seventh inning

Sports News Yankees replace version of ‘God Bless America’ played during seventh inning https://linewsradio.com/yankees-replace-version-of-god-bless-america-played-during-seventh-inning/ http://abcnewsradioonline.com/sports-news/

kaarsten/iStock(NEW YORK) — For nearly two decades, New York Yankees fans have sung Kate Smith’s rendition of “God Bless America” during the seventh inning stretch. But this season, the team dropped it in favor of other versions of the song.

The reason why, according to the Daily News, is because of Smith’s history of occasionally singing songs that appear to be racist and embrace slave culture.

“The Yankees have been made aware of a recording that had been previously unknown to us and decided to immediately and carefully review this new information,” a spokesman for the team told the Daily News. “The Yankees take social, racial and cultural insensitivities very seriously. And while no final conclusions have been made, we are erring on the side of sensitivity.”

“God Bless America” was put into rotation during the seventh inning stretch at Yankee Stadium following the attacks on September 11.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 19 Apr 2019

The ‘Toy Story’ gang contend with a hungry cat in new teaser trailer

Disney/Pixar(LOS ANGELES) — A new teaser trailer for Disney/Pixar’s Toy Story 4 was released on Thursday. Woody, Buzz and the gang’s new pal Sporky are off on a vacation, where they meet an old friend and a new nemesis.

The clip shows Woody — voiced once again by Tom Hanks –meeting up with his old flame Bo Peep — voiced by Annie Potts. The trip is fraught with danger as well, when the group encounter a toy-chewing cat, who rips up a stuffed toy, as the others watch in terror.

“Is that how we look on the inside?” asks one toy after surveying the carnage.

“So much f-f-f-fluff,” adds another in horror.

Toy Story 4 opens nationwide June 21. Disney is the parent company Pixar and ABC News.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Posted On 19 Apr 2019
12